Policy and Legislation
ERICSA is instrumental in improving policies, procedures, practices, laws and regulations that deal with all aspects of child support. In keeping with its name, ERICSA seeks to focus special attention on the interstate aspects of child support enforcement through the program support and policy work the Association provides year-round.
ERICSA maintains strong, informal, working relationships with such organizations as:
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- American Public Human Services Association (APHSA)
- Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE)
- National Center for State Courts (NCSC)
- National Child Support Enforcement Association (NCSEA)
- National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL)
- National Council of Child Support Directors (NCCSD)
- National Tribal Child Support Association (NTCSA)
- Western Interstate Child Support Enforcement Council (WICSEC)
Policy and Legislation Committee
The Policy & Legislation Committee monitors, analyzes and comments on legislation, policy and regulations. The Committee is responsible for keeping the Board of Directors informed on policy issues and develops Resolutions and Position Papers for Board approval and dissemination to ERICSA members. The Policy & Legislation Committee is responsible for coordinating contacts with congressional representatives and interaction with the federal Office of Child Support Enforcement.
Fair Credit Reporting Act Passed
The federal Child Support Assistance Act of 2015 passed on December 7, 2015. ERICSA supported this legislation as a means to assist child support agencies in the collection of child support payments and in the establishment of realistic child support orders. Passage of this legislation will amend the Fair Credit Reporting Act by removing the 10-day notice requirement given to non-custodial parents before the IV-D agency may obtain his or her credit report. In addition, the changes to the law provide clarity to child support agencies as to the proper use of consumer reports to establish, modify, and enforce child support orders.
Here you will find the resolutions and position papers that have been approved by the ERICSA board. We have also made available archived papers for your convenience.
Board Approved Resolution/Position Papers
Archived Resolutions/Position Papers
- Legislation Tracking Matrix - 113th Congress (2013 - 2015) that provides easy reference to recent legislation pertaining to the child support program.
- Legislation Tracking Matrix - 112th Congress (2011 - 2013) that provides easy reference to recent legislation pertaining to the child support program.
- Legislation Tracking Matrix - 111th Congress (2009 - 2011) that provides easy reference to past legislation pertaining to the child support program.
Click on the links below for recently passed or newly proposed legislation as well as a breakdown of the major points contained in the Responsible Fatherhood and Healthy Families Act of 2009:
- American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009
- The Responsible Fatherhood and Healthy Families Act of 2009
- Section by Section Breakdown of the Responsible Fatherhood and Healthy Families Act of 2009
- Julia Carson Responsible Fatherhood and Healthy Families Act of 2009
- Child Support Protection Act of 2009
Also available for your reference are the following two documents related to the impact of the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005: